Forum home Problem solving

Orchid oddity

May I please have some advice, an Orchid I was given last Christmas has grown two more stems, one of which hasn't opened it's leaves, they are all interwoven, this stem has flowered and has more buds. Should I leave the leaves or attempt to unfurl them?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,054
    It looks nice and healthy to me, so I'd leave them to do their own thing.  Trying to unfurl them is likely to cause bruising or tearing.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    edited October 2018
    You're doing something right so just leave it to do its thing and carry on the same care.  As Jenny says, interfering could damage it.

Tricky things.  I brought 3 with me when we moved and tried to keep up teh same care routine as before but clearly light levels and temps are different and they refused to flower again so have gone to teh great compost heap.  Another, given to me since, looks like it's heading the same way as it ahs buds that have done nothing for over a year now.  It's on notice to flower by Xmas or else.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,905
    I tgink those little buds are new flower buds , not leaves.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • At last a subject I know more than anyone else about. Your orchid is a Dendrobium, probably a hybrid of Dendrobium bigibbum from N Australia. This can flower almost any time of year.  It looks fantastically healthy so whatever you are doing must be right. Just keep it warm and sunny and don't water much over winter, those thick succulent stems can go 6 months without.
    Good luck. Ian