Where to buy quality, weed free compost and topsoil

I've just built a raised bed garden and need a substantial amount of top soil and compost. I have 11 beds ranging from 3m x 1.2 to 1.2 x 1.2 so quite a bit of soil needed. Any recommendations? Thank you!!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,394
    You'll want someone local to you to cut transport csts so work out the volume needed and then try googling top soil suppliers in your area, town, county.   Rather than compost, I'd mix it with well rotted manure so google for riding stables too.   They'll often give it away free.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 549
    It depends on where you are and access to your site. I have used CPA Horticulture a few times. Often a more local supplier will deliver bulk tipped loads but you need to be able to store this. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014
    edited October 2018
    I've had stuff from CPA for the last 3 years.
    The Horse manure was ok but LOTS of wood shavings.
    The horse manure/mushroom compost was excellent - no wood shavings.
    I've just had their Mushroom compost delivered, lovely looking stuff and no wood shavings, a bit pongy! (but no ammonia smell) but the bags were still quite hot, so I'll leave that to mature for a while before spreading

I had beet-silt topsoil (20 ton) from Silverton Aggregates for my raised beds (mixed with the above) Very good stuff.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257
    Mushroom compost is ok on the veg garden,  brassicas do best in alkaline soil,  be careful elsewhere, if you are growing acid loving plants, Camelias, heathers etc, you can’t use it.  
    It can make you soil to alkaline as it contains lots of lime, (chalk) which can make your foliage be a bit yellowy. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,255
    As K67 says depends on where you are based if you are anwwhere in the greater london area then Tompsons of Crews Hill Enfield are very good but if you need it delivered a distance then not cheap
    AB Still learning