Forum home Problem solving

New Rolled Grass - Colour Concern

Hi,

We've recently had a new lawn laid by a professional landscaping company. They needed to make several trips to collect rolls of turf as they installed it over a couple of days. After returning home one day, we noticed two clearly different colours. The gardener continued to lay the rolls and ensured us that the grass is exactly the same species from the same source and within a week or so the colour difference would not be noticeable. He took the extra measure of getting the supplier on speaker phone to reassure us as well. Whilst the firm have actually proven to be sloppy in some areas, we trusted them to continue...

More than a week on and whilst there's been some colour change, I remain unconvinced that the difference will soon become unnoticeable. Here's a comparison between day 1 and day 7...

I'm extremely interested in the opinions of this experienced group as to whether or not you think I'm being spun a line here, or if indeed this colour difference will fade away. I'm contemplating withholding payment [for the lawn portion of a much larger landscaping job they're undertaking for us] and would value a second opinion on the most likely colour change over time.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

-Chris

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,287
    I wouldn't worry to much, they lighter colour of turf may have been rolled up longer so it wont get any light causing it to yellow. The darker green side may dull down over time when fertilisers ware off. Just make sure its well watered. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    If it's been rolled up longer to the point of being yellow, they shouldn't have used it, Perki.
    Look like different grasses to me - sorry. The fact that they didn't have all the turf when they started, and kept going back for more, sounds very odd to me. You say they've been sloppy in other ways too, so the whole operation doesn't sound brilliant.

It seems to have established well though, so perhaps it will be less noticeable in time. Not sure how you would fare trying to hold payment. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    edited October 2018
    I think as Fairygirl says, over time it will become less obvious. After the winter, when you come to start cutting it, and feeding it, it may well blend together. As regards the legality of withholding payment, l don't know, it may be possible to negotiate a reduction perhaps.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited October 2018
    What is the turf that is still rolled up on the patio?
    It looks a bit dry and cracked. The soil is usually dark on freshly cut rolled turf without much cracking.
    Maybe just the picture but it looks rather pale and dry, points to not very fresh turf as already mentioned but a point you could make to the company

Will they still be on the job in another weeks time? I would be inclined to pay, but negotiate a discount as AnniD says, or ask can you withhold a small portion, payable if the grass turns out okay.

That was my thought too Ruby, re the rolled up pieces,  but I wasnt sure if it had been lying around for a while. 

• He’s also a messy worker. Those rolls were left there for a couple of days before being discarded. The ones he laid were fresh. 

Thanks for the inputs everybody. Jury’s clearly still out on how likely the colour change will be. 
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,533
    Turf rolls will yellow quite quickly but will potentially take much longer to regain their true colour, particularly at this time of year.  Looking at the picture dated 17.10 the colours are a lot closer so I wouldn't worry unduly.
  • Thanks all. I'll update with new shots in a week or so :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,675
    If you can, get some kind of guarantee in writing of it all being the same variety.  If come next spring the colour is still different, and particularly if the growth habit is different, you might want to get back to the supplier. 
    I think there's a strong chance that the second lot of turf has been lifted when the ground has been very dry, and therefore wasn't in as good condition as it should have been.
    Again, I'd question the ability of any firm if they couldn't work out the right amount for the space. It's basic maths, after all. The whole lot should have been lifted and delivered at the same time. However, whether you can gain anything by that is another matter, let alone a refund or reduction of any kind  :/