Forum home The potting shed

Nothing to do with gardening but it is about mushrooms

B3B3 Posts: 18,682
I bought some  supermarket mushrooms yesterday. They were white and velvety, with no blemishes. I put them the paper bag provided and then in the fridge -as usual.
Less than 24 hrs later, they're looking a bit aged.
My question is, have they been adulterated in some way or just the victim of poor storage -not mine?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,839
    What was the best before date on them when you bought them?

Mind you, I don't worry about using slightly aged mushrooms ... as long as they're not actually shrivelled or slimy I'm happy to cook with them and they've always been absolutely fine in dishes. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,066
    Modern frdges are usually 'frost free' which has the side-effect of sucking the moisture out of some things (ie there is a low humidity environment inside.)  Try storing them in a sealed container rather than a paper bag when you put them in the fridge.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,682
    They were loose.  So no best before. I've stored them properly and don't mind eating freckly mushrooms. It's never happened before.That's why I'm wondering if they've done something to them  -a weird and unnatural occurrence or bad presale storage?
    In London. Keen but lazy.