Forum home Fruit & veg

White fly

My brassica are infested with clouds of white fly. Is there anything i can do about this or does it even matter?

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,224
    Hi Penny19, if they are cabbage whitefly there's not much you can do. They're usually only on the outer leaves so you can still use the middle but lots of them can encourage sooty mould so an occasional burst from the hose might help?

I've only had experience of a few at a time so the hose and squishing worked for me  :s
  • Penny19Penny19 Posts: 43
    They are very tiny and the hose would work for as long as i was using it! Irritating little pests!
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    They are a real pain I hate the blooming things, they're not only on my brassicas they're on the lettuce and even on weeds. I've washed them off, sprayed them with soapy garlic, and even used insecticide, they still thrive, argh!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280
    I get them  fuchsias, Basil, and tomato plants, I’ve resorted to bug sprays, they seem to survive most things, I find now the best way is to spray,  then when the numbers are down, just squash them, they are very slow to move so easily caught. 
    I don’t get them on outside plants though, just in the GH. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.