Frost Warnings

What's the best way to get warnings about upcoming frosts? Is there an app that works well for this?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,303
    Frost is a tricky one, isn’t it? So many factors. Wind direction, time of day, etc. Even within my own garden there are parts which are guaranteed to catch a frost while other bits remain quite mild.

I think you get to know your own garden after a while.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,959
    I'd agree with pansy. It's a really big variable - even within your own garden. Many people on the forum can experience frost in a front garden while there's none in the back, and vice versa. You can also have a frost pocket in one corner. 
    Best way is to check a reliable tv weather forecast for your area, and then also use a couple of online ones. Law of averages and all that.
    I use the Met Office one which isn't too bad, but you have to bear in mind that the observation sites might be a long way from your area, and the elevation can be different. All these factors have a bearing. I find it not bad even for hill forecasts, which is a very difficult, and at times impossible, field of forecasting. 
    Bear in mind that many plants can happily shrug off frosts for several nights. Even ones which are technically not fully hardy. A couple of degrees of frost rarely does any harm. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Where I am feels cold enough to frost.  I've just gone in from walking the dog.  Whether it will or not is a different matter.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @bookmonster  I don't think anyone can predict frost there are so many factors that are involved as mentioned you can have different situations in a garden an area with a hedge may not get any frost yet the lawn open space may be covered.

The best answer is check local weather forecast and use your gut feeling and cover up or move stuff if you think your in for a frost it wont do any harm.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,113
    First frost of the winter as predicted,  2° so bbc weather had it right.😐
  • Did you see Beechgrove last week a lady living high up in Aberdeenshire I think it was had recorded a frost in every month of the year except July, beautiful countryside but brrr!
    Fairly normal for the northern half of Scotland, Barry   ;)

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,113
    And I think we do badly compared to the south! Brrrr
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,699
    We had frost this morning, grass was white! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I'd much rather have frosts . We do get plenty on the west side, but we tend to get a lot more rain than the east. I've said it before though - if we didn't have all the rain we get, we also wouldn't have our wonderful landscape  :)
    I don't mind snow at all, although many people do. It's just the norm here in winter.