Shaded strip of garden.

Looking for ideas please . We have a strip of land running along the side of the house which is north facing , a bit damp and full of weeds of course. I'd like to solve the damp issue so would it be better to plant this with ferns for example or dig it over and try to eliminate the weeds. All input most welcome.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,228
    Firstly, dig it over and get rid of the weeds.
    I have a similar strip along the back of the house planted with mahonias, pyracantha and cornus Siberica.  These are underplanted with astilbes and brunnera 'Jack Frost'
    SW Scotland
  • Thanks very much for the ideas Joyce a few ferns have quietly seeded themselves so I will probably use your ideas too.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,046
    Hi Barbara - if you also take a look at the thread titled 'shrub and wall colour for north facing border' you'll get some additional ideas too.  :)
    Foliage plants like the Brunnera Joyce mentions, are really good for shade. Any good variegated foliage plant really lifts a shady spot. Anything white, or very pale, flowered is the same. They glow. 
    Don't forget some cheery spring bulbs  - snowdrops and muscari will do well, and many daffs don't mind damp shade either. Woodland anemones will also be fine.
    It will benefit the soil to add a bit of manure and/or compost when you plant anything. Leaf mould would also be beneficial if you have any. Sometimes a damp, shady aspect can result in soil being a bit sour, so it helps if you can add some extra nourichment and also replicate a woodland floor, which you can then plant accordingly.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,214
    How wide is this strip. Would you like shrubs or are you after lower growing plants? There are so many plants for your situation, so it's all about the look you want, and how tall you want plants to grow. I think Alchemilla Mollis and Euphorbia Amygdaloides Var Robbiae brightens any dull and dark corners of a garden. So few plants with that zingy green/lemon tone. 
  • Thank you Borderline and Fairygirl. The strip of ground is only about 2ft by 3ft in length so very small really. Think I'm going to follow what nature has started and add to the two ferns which were growing quietly under the weeds!  
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,563
    liriope muscari are still blooming beautifully in shade in my garden. Pretty things and nice to have a splash of colour now.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • Thank you raisingirl that's an idea I didn't think of. Such nice colour too.