Forum home Problem solving

Pruning a passion flower.

I bought a passion flower early this year when it was only a few inches tall it is now 6/7 foot tall growing up a garden obelisk, can any one tell me when and how to prune it? I have googled it but it all seems quite technical with people talking about late winter, cutting certain stems by 2/3's etc, it did not flower this year but I rather expected that being it is it's first year. I have attached a photo and any help would be much appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I've decided to try and grow one of these so have done a bit of research as I want fruit as well as flowers.  The trick seems to be to prune them back quitehard after planting in order to encourage more shoots to form and then train them as a fan as angled, rather than vertical, shoots produce more flowers and thus more fruits.

I don't think yourobelisk is anywhere near big enough so would advise you to secure tensioned wires at 12"/30cm intervals across your fence and then organise all those shoots as a fan.  Then you can shorten any that are too long but I would wait now till spring to do that as the longer lengths will take the frosts and protect the centre.

Here is what the RHS advises - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=295 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • mab52mab52 Posts: 3
    Many thanks for your response and advice which I will be implementing come spring and I look forward to seeing the results, I live in the north of the UK so am not expecting any fruit.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I had one in my garden in Harrow in the 80s and loved the flowers but it was killed one very cold winter so do make sure you protect the crown of yours with a good mulch.   Being warmer here, I hope to get fruit but will be happy with just flowers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    These plants are incredibly rampant when established ; I cut one to ground with heavy garden shears last week , (straight through all stems)!! to around 1' high .
    I did the same last year ; this summer it engulfed an established Clematis growing up an old farmhouse wall (!) . Sending tendrils out and clinging onto anything available , it flowered and fruited profusely in one growing season . Seeds everywhere too .
    In some parts of its native S.America I can understand why it's classified as a weed!!
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    PS
    Forgot to mention this is growing in E.Lincolnshire .
  • mab52mab52 Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input guys I am looking forward to the new growing season and doing battle with this "weed"