Forum home Problem solving

Maidenhair fern brown spots (not underside)

Can any one help with this? I've googled and can't find anything relevant. Plant is in bathroom, watered every other day (ish), light is good but not direct. It dried out previously (bad housemate not watering whilst on holiday!) So this is all fairly new growth.
I water about once every two weeks with fertilizer- the concentrate that you dilute down. Its meant for cactii and succulents I believe so could this be the problem? Fertilizer burn?
My other thought is the drainage is not great in the pot could that cause this? Any suggestions greatly appreciated I love this plant and want it to be nice and healthy!

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    I always liked them but found them a bit temperamental ( I was no good at looking after them in other words).

They need a temperature around 21 degrees C, (I just had to check on line) I think with central heating bathroom temperatures can fluctuate too much, despite what is said the moist humid air is not there all the time. If you are out all day and the room is colder except when heating comes on or the room is warmed for human use only.

Tip your fern carefully out of the pot, is it fairly full of root?
    They do need moisture but it can be overdone easily and end up with the roots rotting .
    The fertilizer might be too often, one a month or so with a weak one would be enough.
    Sorry maybe not the right answer, but maybe something will hit the spot.
    Is that an older frond? They do die off when they get older and new ones grow to replace them constantly.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    diana1, I just been thinking (dangerous), dry air, or hot weather as you said, would that make them shrivel, so that is from the outer edges working inwards.
    Nikki's is browning from the center near the stalk, so one of the other causes or symptoms?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Like the others, I think you are watering and feeding too often.  Better to water thoroughly once a week and let it drain and then just spray the foliage with a mister every day.    Feed once a month with a very dilute feed for foliage houseplants, not succulents and cactii, and only thru the summer months.

They need high humidity, hence the misting, temps between 16 and 24C  and full light in winter but indirect light in summer.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I mist mine everyday and soak it twice a week. It sits on a bed of charcoal chips (left over from making a terrarium  :)

I suspect a bit of over watering and root rot on yours. It will recover if you let it dry out a little I'm sure. 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Monty says he mists his every day. I water mine well once a week. Since using Baby Bio regularly (once a month) they have started growing properly. A complete sea change.