How long _ fresh?

Had to pick my pumpkin as the weather been so wet and damp and most likley it could rot as this is the first time i have grown one not sure how long it will keep.i know by keeping a stalk on it it will stay fresh but for how long and how long when i cut it its a jaune gros de paris thanks tiggs

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606
    I've not kept that variety, but I've often kept Crown Prince squashes in the dry cool but frost free garage until the beginning of March.   Then once I've cut a wedge out to cook I've covered with clingfilm and kept it in the fridge until used up. 

Just keep it dry, cool frost and frost free and stand it on a folded newspaper and check it once a week to make sure it's not getting any soft brown spots.  If it does it's time to use it up quickly.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• jmahayjmahay Posts: 23
    Thanks x
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915
    its always recommended that you leave the stalk as long as possible when you cut it, I was told to cut at the T where the main stalk joins where the pumpkin has grown off (usually where there is a leaf as well)
    not only does that give you a stalk that's long enough it also gives you a convenient handle, also make the cut as clean as you can as it reduces that chance of rot setting in before it dries out.
    once its 'cures' if you keep it cool and frost free it should keep for months