Forum home Problem solving

Anyone know what this is? Appears to be coming out of an old tree stump. Think it might be fungus.

• MuddyForkMuddyFork North HampshirePosts: 435
    Rotting fungi.  Given where it is it's possibly Honey Fungus
  • Thought it was the wrong colour for honey fungus as it’s really black and doesn’t smell very nice!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    That's 'cos it's 'past its best' .... a week or so ago it would've looked like this 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 577
    Fungus is a part of life, there are fungus's everywhere in a garden. 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    As Dove said "past its best".
    If it is a lot and offensive, you could scoop it up and bag it to get rid, though it will dry out and disappear.  Rain and damp when things like this are rotting tends to slow the process.
    What kind it was I don't know. But can understand if it is near the house, patio or path and offensive to your nose.
    I mostly leave our fungus in the garden, but if something large and smelly appears near our path or doorways I do clear up the big mushy bits.

You might consider keeping an eye on it in future or having a dig around so you can identify it (if it is honey fungus) and take remedial action as best you can.