Forum home Problem solving

Waterlogged plant pots

I am very new to gardening and this summer i bought x2 plants and potted them for my patio. They have been beautiful all summer but since we have had frequent heavy rain, one of them has become waterlogged and the water is starting to turn stagnant. 
Please can you advise what to do at this stage. 
Thank you

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,871
    there should be drainage holes at the bottom of the pots, make sure they're not blocked
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Also raise the pots off the ground, using pot feet or a couple of bricks, to let the water drain away.
    SW Scotland
  • This problem can catch us all out at times so don't think this is just happening to you Barbiepink.  We spent a couple of hours on Tuesday morning repotting a huge pot with a bay tree planted in it that had become waterlogged and wasn't smelling too sweet either.  The drainage hole at the bottom of the pot had clogged up so that the water could not escape after a heavy downpour of rain. After removing all the wet soil/compost and starting afresh with dry matter we have now lifted the pot onto some bricks, so that the excess water can actually drain away.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    What sort of planting do you have in the pots, and what medium are they planted in?
    That can also be a factor  :)
    I'd agree though - there's a very strong chance that the drainage holes are blocked, so take the plants out and have a look. That might be easier said than done though!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited October 2018
    The bottom of pots will get clogged from time to time with dying debris. It should be a case of turning your pot sideways to check if it needs a clear out. Sometimes, use a screw driver to pierce upwards into the drainage hole to help it along.

Try to fill the bottom section of your pots with any old broken up bits of polystyrene or large stones if you can. As someone mentioned, get the pot raised in the winter time.