Bokashi bin - help please!

LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269
Has anyone any experience of these?  I'm interested in getting Bokashi bins for my son and daughter-in-law, whose 9-month baby is learning to eat solids, but inevitably a lot of food ends up on the floor (or is sucked and rejected).  Their council doesn't have a waste food collection service.

I saw them advertised at the Harrogate flower show.  They work by fermenting food waste in an airtight container, using special bran containing "effective micro-organisms".  You can put all kitchen waste into it, and use the fermentation liquid as a plant feed (bet it stinks!) -and once it's all fermented you can add the remaining contents to the compost heap.

Sounds wonderful... but is it?  
"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,828
    personally i would go down the wormary direction if they have an outside space, you can use cooked food in wormaries as opposed to compost bins.
    Bokashi bins can become smelly if not looked after well, and with a small child they might not have the time, where as wormaries you just empty a kitchen caddy every other day into it.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269
    Thanks for that, @treehugger80.  I'll pass on the information about smelliness... 
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Had you seen the Wiggly wigglers site has a short video on it, might help with your decision if you have not seen it. Sorry never sure how much or not to link to sites that sell stuff, advertising.
    I have nothing to do with them, but do understand if it is removed by moderators. Sorry.
    I imagine if the pickling process goes wrong it might smell.
    Depends how often little one one is sucking in and rejecting :D
    And an airtight lid might be a pain to get on and off.
    If you find and have a look at the video, then it might help you decide if they would manage to use it as instructed.
    It is a really nice thoughtful gift idea though.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269
    Thanks, @Rubytoo.  My mum & dad had a wormery but I'd forgotten you could put meat-based waste into it.