What is St Julian A rootstock?

It's a rootstock yes, but what is it if grown by itself?  Is it a plum, does it fruit?  Are these grown for any other reason?

• WaysideWayside Posts: 722
    St. Juliens belong to the species Prunus insititia, which also includes damsons and mirabelles, and were originally grown for their fruit, which is not particularly pleasant to eat but useful for drying (see photo right). This nicely illustrates the fact that most fruit tree rootstocks are actually fruit trees of the same or closely-related species which happen to be useful for controlling scion-size, even if they are not that useful for fruit production themselves.

From the above link.  That really helps.  Thanks.

• WaysideWayside Posts: 722
    I have some nice wild bullaces/damson things at the end of the garden.  It looks as if clones are appearing from the roots, but it could be from fallen fruit.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    Bullaces do sucker quite a bit
  • avisonjanetavisonjanet Posts: 1
    Could you help? I have a nectarine on the St Julien rootstock. The nectarine has died but the rootstock seems to be growing. The graft is where I would expect a standard to be. Could someone explain why the top has died whilst the rootstock lives on, please?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,351
    Well, every plant needs roots and a canopy. The roots provide the water (and other stuff) and the canopy provides the chlorophyll. One can’t live without the other.

So your nectarine part decided to give up the ghost for some reason. A bad graft onto the roots? Roots not providing enough water? Disease? Something.

But whatever killed the nectarine didn’t kill the roots. So they put out their own canopy to provide them with chlorophyll.

You are now the proud owner of a Prunus insititia tree. Not much use as anything other than a reminder of your money gone for a burton.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    @pansyface "gone for a burton": I didn't know that expression. More at https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gone-for-a-burton.html
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).