Forum home Plants

another plant to ID ... thanks in advanced

LTobyLToby Posts: 224
I've also got this plant that is growing prettily after I re-potted last Spring. Didnt realize how lovely it looks when it began to show off her nice shape, branches and foliage. It was a very small and one branch in a root-bound medium pot from a garden center. 

Am attaching two images during this past Summer and now Autumn... thanks.
Aberdeenshire, Scotland

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421
    Looks like Euonymus alatus

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 224
    nutcutlet, thanks ... i have eunymous plants but this is so different ... will check on background of alatus. thanks again.
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,711
    edited October 2018
    Definitely Euonymus.
    Euonymus alatus  sounds spot on...note the winged bark.
    Very very different from the evergreen Euonymus.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Euonymus+alatus+winged+bark&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7qqmEvobeAhWHHsAKHUGnDuAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=889
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421
    Euonymus are a varied bunch. This one is deciduous, some are variegated evergreens

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • A lovely shrub to own. Euonymus Alatus looks good every season, from the fresh light green Spring growth to the unusual 'corky, winged' bark, a real feature in Winter when covered in frost. The best season must be now, though, when the leaves turn brilliant scarlet........just  hope these latest gales haven't spoilt the display!
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
    Thank you all again for your insights. Yes, it is still glowing pretty with her turning scarlet foliage.  The strong winds and Calum storm did not affect as much in Kelso, Scotland ... which was great!
    And yes, its winged bark was very pretty during winter when covered with snow, although it was quite small last Winter.  Love this group of Gardeners .. been so helpful with your experiences and insights. Cheers!
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    It does grow big though. I have one in the ground that must be about 8 ft wide by about 7ft tall. Lovely colour. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    I just realised how big it could become ... after looking at the images online (thanks for the link of images silver surfer). It is in a big pot for now and will see how it will grow in the next couple of years ... thanks again to all (nutcutlet, silver surfer, yorkshirerose, and hogweed) ... cheers!
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland