Forum home Plants

Rose ID

I have a rose that has two stems. The flowers bloom only from the tips of the stems. The only branching the rose has is from the very top and the stems are bare at the bottom. I'd like to prune the rose to promote new growth and more flowers but I don't know which rose type it is in order to prune it the correct way.

Last year it was only one stem that had 2-3 blooms in a clump. When those blooms faded I cut the clump off and the second stem grew from the base vigorously this year and shot up and bloomed too. But again it was a long thorny stem with flowers only at the tip. The rose is red and very fragrant.

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303
    With 2-3 blooms on a long straight stem, it's almost certainly a hybrid tea rose. Prune to an outward facing bud in the Spring. As to identification, almost impossible. In my last garden, I had about eighty roses and could only every recognise two or three, as there are thousands of varieties. Whilst I always labelled the roses I bought, inherited roses were a mystery, with the exception of 'Peace' and Rosa rugosa. Now we have just moved into a new garden (house) I can recognise Climbing Iceberg which just leaves two or three mystery roses.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019
    You could try pegging instead of pruning as you would keep the flower buds at the end of the stems but encourage laterals to form and flower lower down.   Gently bend the tip of the stem over to form an arch and then tie it to a wooden or metal peg in the ground.  If the stems are stiff, do a gentle arch to start with and gradually tighten over the coming months so the wood flexes rather than breaks.

https://paulzimmermanroses.com/gardening/training-roses/pegging-roses/ 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Perennial gardenerPerennial gardener Posts: 33
    edited October 2018
    Not too fussed with the exact variety, just happy to know its a hybrid tea. Can I cut it back a lot, to about my 18-20 inches? Also how can I encourage more steams to grow?
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,640
    If it's a hybrid tea rose then you can prune it to about 6 inches above ground next March, this will encourage new shoots from the base..  don't be afraid to prune it hard..
    East Anglia, England