Forum home Problem solving

What are the facts regarding wee and composting?

• B3B3 Posts: 27,321
    One for the ladies? You might as well be comfortable

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,346
    This would do the job much more discreetly.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,212
    What about the Paris eco-friendly urinals? The French have some bright ideas (sometimes).

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,581
    A bucket in the garage, seems to do the trick.
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    My husbands family seem incapable of using a toilet when working outside (only applies to the men) so to avoid having wee in every border and bush, (most of my bushes are fruit bushes and I do NOT want wee on them) I very early on threw a loud fit and banished them to the compost heaps. where they fortunately have stayed! In summer no one can see the heaps including our house, and in winter there are 4 or 5 houses with a direct line view, but they are over a mile away and I think using a telescope to watch would put them in the wrong!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,836
    Skandi said:
    there are 4 or 5 houses with a direct line view, but they are over a mile away and I think using a telescope to watch would put them in the wrong!
    Quite so Skandi - maybe they could give them a wave anyway....with the spare hand  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    This thread is hillarious! We used to have female urinals at the hospital, never met a bed bound woman who could use one.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I've got a great little book called "Liquid gold - the lore and logic of using urine to grow plants." . Every gardener and ecowarrior should have a copy.  Behind my garage is a handy nook which I call compost corner. It contains a dalek, leafmould heaps, and two plastic dustbins crammed with cardboard.  I keep a plastic jug beside the toilet to catch the first wee of the day, because it's the most concentrated - it's the nitrates I want, not the water - and this is added to the cardboard bins.  The resulting pulp is used for the autumn mulch.  And it doesn't smell.  Whatever way you use wee in the garden, it's important to use it fresh, preferably within an hour.  When it's exposed to air, it starts turning to ammonia, which plants can't use.  Adding it fresh to a source of carbon prevents this.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970
    We have a shed situated at the top of the garden where a big plastic container is stored half full of water, when out in the garden and in need it is used for wee, and then poured over the compost heap, invigorates the compost.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,212
    TO PEE OR NOT TO PEE (on the compost) THAT IS THE QUESTION :/

If you are a convinced opponent of glyphosate, you might re-consider the benefits of peeing on your compost.

This problem has been recently confirmed by a French study: https://www.criigen.org/chronique/2/display/Du-glyphosate-dans-nos-urines?lang=fr

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).