Forum home Plants

Bush Recognition

Can anyone tell me what type of bush this is? I noticed in my local supermarket car park today as the wind was fanning the beautiful fragrance. It smells like jasmine to me but can't find anything about it being a variety of jasmine.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,220
    edited October 2018
    Some kind of Daphne, maybe 'eternal fragrance'? Got one in my garden. Lovely fragrance for many months. See http://www.rezeau.org/wp-garden/en/daphne-x-transatlantica-eternal-fragrance-2/ 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021
    Could be one of the viburnum family.  Maybe Tinus.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    The photo is taken a bit too close to get an idea of leaf shape and size. But they do look like Escallonia Iveyi, and they have scented flowers. A shrub I can imagine planted in a supermarket carpark.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021
    We need a pound coin or a finger in the photo for scale.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,644
    edited October 2018
    Viburnum tinus, surely...  Escallonia 'Iveyi' has a touch more class about it, not so hardy, and unlikely in a supermarket car park except in western areas maybe... it also flowers in summer... it's a nice shrub, foliage is almost black..

..and not the Daphne either I'm afraid...
    East Anglia, England
    Could the OP please post a pic of the whole tree? 
  • Thanks for all your suggestions so far but don't think any quite match the shrub. I will go back tomorrow and take some more photos to see if this may help you. Really appreciate you all trying to solve this for me as I desperately want to get one of these for my garden.
    edited October 2018
    Ok then try to take 2 or 3 pics showing the whole shrub, some branches with leaves, etc  How tall and wide is it?
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,644
    You should check the foliage as well as the flowers...

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/viburnum-tinus/
    East Anglia, England
    The leaves on the OP's pic do look like those of a V. tinus but I wouldn't say that plant's flowers smell as nice as jasmine!