Forum home Problem solving

Think my rose is on it's way out

Sue & MuttonSue & Mutton Posts: 107
edited October 2018 in Problem solving

My poor 5 year old rose has been riddled with black spot this year and is looking decidedly sorry for itself. The stem has now started to turn brown, although  it's still trying to shoot at the top. Does black spot affect the stems too? Is it best to despatch it to the local municipal dump!

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,641
    I can't see much wrong with those branches. They look like average older stems. Black spot is common in the autumn time. Some roses are more prone to it over others. The best way to minimise spread is to promptly removed fallen leaves around the base. Don't let them sit around over winter. Lay a new layer of rotted manure or compost in spring. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,579
    I agree - it looks ok.
    Maybe you need to remove one or 2 of the stems (in winter) from the base to encourage new some shoots to come up in the spring to replace the older wood.
    Do you know what sort of rose it is?
    A photo of the whole plant and another of the bottom of your rose may help us give better advice.
    Generally, roses are quite hard to kill :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,406
    I don't like the look of the cane behind the fence panel,  but we can't see too much of your rose there... as for the canes with purple spots on them, to answer your question, the fungus that gives you black spot on the foliage is different to the fungus you get in canes... one of my healthiest roses foliage wise, has those spots all the way down the canes... it's not always a problem that..

If you've had enough of the rose just give rid of it.. there's plenty more out there... I grow some as annuals would you believe, although I realise not many would do that..
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited October 2018
    I think if you like it, cut it back, if you thinking of taking it to the tip, because it looks rough. It has two chances, one good one bad.
    If you like it enough to give it a go?

I have a little rose called Summertime, I let it get a bit unkempt and it is in a pot. I bit the bullet and hacked the whole thing off.
    The stems looked like yours and some a bit yellow, old and sickly.
     Pete8 is right, they are hard to kill :)
    Some rose food and regular watering, it now has healthy new stems with new flowers on, and looks pretty good.
    @Marlorena, is it possible you are looking at the upright on the trellis behind the center of picture stem, it looks like it because of the shape a bit.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Don't give up on your rose, I'm sure with a bit of T.L.C. it will survive. I have a Rose Tzigane which I bought , from Woolworths,for my late Father back in the 1960's. Every year I think it is on the way out, it gets riddled with black spot and has a very weak stem, but every year I treat it kindly and it rewards me with just one flower - how could I throw it out.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,406
    @Rubytoo

lol...yes I can see now..oh goodness I must be going senile... I thought that's rather a large old cane ...   not much wrong with the rest of it, but can't see the whole plant... 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    @Marlorena No worries, I even thought it appears to have a thorn. It would be good to see a larger picture Sue.

@yorkshirerose that is pretty, I can understand why it has a special meaning to you.
  • Thanks for all your advice. I've attached some more blurry pictures taken in the rain just now.

Yorkshirerose - how lovely, I can't think of a better way of keeping someone close to you even after they've gone than through their plants. Every year when I'm bringing in my late my  Dad's dahlias I go back to being a child and helping him lift and store them - normally under my bed next to my jigsaw puzzles - and I still have my Grandad's rhubarb going - 9 house moves later and nearly 35 years since he died.

The rose has no sentimental value, although I'm one of those gardeners who just will not throw any plant away unless it's completely beyond it. It's up the side of a pergola and must be 12' high. If it stops raining later I think I'll hack it back, feed it as you suggest and cross my fingers.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,579
    If you're going to cut it back quite severely, may be best to wait until winter when it's dormant.
    Pruning at this time of year (esp with the recent warm weather) there's a risk that it'll start growing new shoots from the base that are then easily damaged by winter frosts
    I usually trim them up this time of year but any significant pruning I do in Feb
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete8 - good job it hasn't stopped raining!