“Sugar cane mulch”

Please, does another kind member know where I can buy “sugar cane mulch” ?
its to sprinkle on the soil around my rose bushes - to protect them from frost during our long winter months.  My daughter from Australia is visiting, & she uses it in her “rose garden” garden in Sydney.   😊 Thankyou 😊 🤔

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,480
    They grow Sugar cane in Northern Australia, so moving it ti DSydney is not a problem. As far as I know, Sugar cane is not grown in Europe, so mulch made from it would entail a lot of mileage, making it uneconomical. Stable manure , on the other hand, is plentiful and always good for roses.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,328
    Tads, if you're in the UK, then rose roots do not need protection from frosts, they are really tough. As Fidgetbones said, a good mulch of stable manure if you do want to put something down, is the best you can do
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,561
    Yes - fidget and Lizzie are right Tads - a good mulch of manure or similar [decent compost is also fine] is very beneficial, as with most plants, although they don't need protection as such.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I can't recommend Buffalo manure. We stopped at the farm shop on the A5 on the way back from Wales. They farm buffalos, and had put a load of very unrotted stuff around the shrubbery. It stank to high heaven. It wasn't very conducive to having a coffee and sitting in the sunshine. We bought some truckles of Snowdon cheese, and got back on the road.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,541
    I bet it's a good 'activator' for a compost heap tho @fidgetbones ; :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,561
    It would certainly activate something Dove!  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Last time I was at Kew, the borders outside the temperate house had been given a heavy mulch of stable manure, not very well rotted, but it didn't stink much. Maybe it was the Royal  provenance, I believe they get the output from the stables of The Horse Guards.