Beetroot seedlings

Hi, I'd like to grow somesbeetroot. I know my local nursery sells seedlings but, because of the nature of the seeds, there are 3 or 4 seedlings in every pot. Should I plant the seedlings as they are and thin then out when the plants are more established in the ground or should I split the seedlings before planting then?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,008
    edited October 2018
    I leave them.
    If there's a few growing together they'll grow as a little clump, just leave a bit more space between each group of 2-3 that's what I've done for the last couple of years and it's worked fine. 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks. Do all the plants in each clump produce a decent size beet?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,910
    I presume you are planning to do these in the Spring? If so, why not get a packet of seed? You can even get tapes with the seed spaced out.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,517
    I'd never transplant beet seedlings ... in my experience they hate root disturbance ... I always sow direct ... space them out well, then use every other one when they're at golf ball size so the others have space to grow if you want bigger ones.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I grow bolthardy and I sow direct in the soil.
    If there's a group of up to 3 I leave them.
    They produced well and I pulled them when a bit bigger than a golf ball and made some lovey chilled beetroot and feta soup (with a glug of vodka :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,517
    I like Boltardy too ... but this year I grew Boldor for the first time  ... a golden beet .... so sweet and tasty roasted and even shredded raw in salads.   I shall grow it again.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,582
    edited October 2018
    I always grow my Bolthardy seeds in black module trays and thin out to one per section when they are big enough to handle i.e. two leaves.  I then plant them outside into a prepared bed with as little disturbance as possible when the weather permits.  I grew 80+ beetroot this year (I give some to my daughter) and had no failures and plenty of seed left in the packet for next year. I copied this sowing idea from someone on this site - sorry I can't remember his name.
  • Thank you all for your comments and recommendations.
    Thanks for the tip Dove - I'll give them a try next year.

I'm pretty sure I can remember Geoff Hamilton sowing all sorts of veg in modules inc. beetroot that he planted out amongst perennials in his Cottage Garden series - and of course they grew wonderfully