UK Wildflower that can be made to look like a tiny bird

Hi there - I have a memory from my childhood of my grandpa taking a wildflower and peeling back some of the petals and bending it and it made the shape of a bird. I can recall that it was very small and delicate and quite thin. The peeling aspect may be due to the fact that the flower wasn't fully in bloom as when the out layer was peeled back pointy leafs/petals were revealed which made the "feathers" on the top of the bird head. I also remember it had two curly sections which could be attached to a blade of grass.
This story sounds made up but I asked a few of my cousins and they remember this also. I think it may have been blue/purple/pink in colour but not 100% sure.
Does anyone know of a flower that fits this description? I have been trying to track this down for years and cannot find it anywhere and am quite frankly fed up being shown picturs of "bird of paradise"! Any help is appreciated & thank you in advance.

• B3B3 Posts: 10,532
    I hope you find it. It sounds lovely
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,714
    Google ‘Flowers that look like a bird’ then click on ‘Images’ may see it there. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you and I have done that on Google but haven't had any luck :(
    try googling wildflower whittling. It's going to be mostly about wood, but you might find something there.
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,509
    Wasn't good old cranesbill, was it?  The wild blue-purple geranium?  That's the only one I can think of....
    Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • B3 - thank for you suggestion! I think I may have found it! I think it might be the "Bee Orchid" - you've made my day, I honestly can say how grateful I am. Thanks to everyone else as well, this really does meant the world.
     :) 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    I was going to suggest snapdragon. I remember being shown how it snaps, but not a bird.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3