Mini-meadow lawn progress (2018)

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 938
Last June (2017) I started changing my front lawn to a 'mini-meadow lawn'.
Thread here:- https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/999808/mini-meadow-lawn-ideas/p1
Now into its second year it got off to a good start and then took a real bashing with the prolonged heat and dry of the summer.
So here are a few photos of progress in 2018.

16th April 2018
Fritillaries and daisies in the lawn,grass lush and uncut since December 2017.

29th April 2018
Still looking lush.

13th June 2018
Dry weather had started but still looking OK.

30th July 2018
Hot summer taking its toll.Lost several plug plants as they had no chance to establish themselves.

4th September 2018
Re-seeded lawn with a Fine Lawn Mix and more plug plants to replace those lost.Had to water every day because we had another dry spell immediately after sowing!

11th October 2018
Grass seed has taken well and the lawn has been cut twice with hand shears as I found the rotary mower rips out some plants and also takes off the soil surface especially if dry.

11th October 2018
The lawn edge by the road gets very dry so I have decided to leave a strip about 12-18" wide for the plants that seem to like it!

I am in the process of planting various bulbs at the moment for a spring display.
Finding it quite fascinating watching the changes and seeing what comes about with my help and naturally.Much better than a boring green bit of grass!  :)

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,289
    We didn't mow for about ten weeks in the heat. Most of the lawn went brown and dead looking, but then chicory started flowering at about six inches high, unlike those in the border that were five feet high. Very pretty blue flowers that just last a morning .
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 938
    That Chicory must have looked amazing!
    Looking at all the parched,brown lawns round here in the summer I was always surprised that there was always a plant somewhere that looked lush and green in the middle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thank you MrsGlaze .
    The meadow lawn is not too hard to create as you say,mainly it's letting it do its' own thing!
    It was the long hot dry period which did the damage later on,but as with all gardening there is always next year to look forward too!
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 152
    I love your garden too, we have kept ours though we have trees and lots of moss :D
    Love the Fritillarias in the grass too, early in your top photo.
    We have a few in a front bed, I just bought a few more as one had self seeded and looked lonely so I planted them in the "lawn", hope they will look like yours in spring. 

Yours looks lovely managed and wild too.
    Your road adds to the look too I thought it was your driveway :)
    Guessing it has a lot of concrete to hold the edge in place, ours stays dry as there is a similar concrete edging ( open plan gardens)held in with slightly overkill volume of concrete.
    edited 12 October
    Thank you Rubytoo.
    The edge by the block paving road is concrete so grass has always struggled there.
    I have been out again today planting Anemone blanda and Chionodoxa bulbs.
    Also have dwarf daffodil,snowdrops,crocus,English bluebells and the fritillary.
    Putting all sorts of things in so don't know quite what it will look like next year!!
    Could be a mess but at least it will be interesting!
  • StillLearningStillLearning Posts: 197
    That's what makes it exciting putting things in and getting the lovely look that I am sure you will achieve and seeing all the bees and things arrive in spring.....