Holes in Lawn appearing overnight?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what is causing the holes in my lawn. Originally 2 holes appeared overnight night but 3 days/nights later the count is up to 8. They vary from 1 to 2 inches deep and wide There are no droppings around the holes and nothing placed within. Nothing is near them during the day so can only presume that a nocturnal creature of some description is the cause. 
Not concerned as per the damage as the lawn has never fully recovered following the summer months, just curious i guess.

Many Thanks

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 116
    fox possibly looking for grubs looks to small for badgers.
    South Coast Hampshire
  • diana 1diana 1 Posts: 99
    Do you have squirrels if so welcome to my world. Not only do the take my bulbs and fruit they bury most if it in my lawn. Sadly they will also take a bird if they can.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,260
    Most probably squirrels, either burying new nuts or retrieving old ones to eat. The same holes are all over our lawn but we just think of it as easy aeration! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 21,680
    Or hedgehogs. Mine dig up a bit at the edge of the grass, as well as scraping at a little bare bit in the middle of the lawn, before dislodging little bits of gravel from between paving. Must be something tasty in there  :)
    Many people still have a lot of dry ground in their gardens, so they're struggling for food, and having to dig further down in various places.
    to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 121
    I would say its a Fox after lawn grubs. We have a regular visitor who likes to dig random small holes and is also partial to digging in the raised planters. He also leaves little 'messages' just to remind us. 
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.