Tomaote Problem

Hi folks, I've noticed that quite a few of my remaining tomatoes (Sweet Millions/Sweet Baby) are starting to split/burst as they ripen. I've an abundant crop this year and still have quite a few to come on yet. Can I do anything about it or is it fluctuation in temperatures at this time of year, or what causes this to happen?
Thanks,
John.

• diana 1diana 1 Posts: 99
    Hi John, I've had the same problem, think is must be due to the temperature as it never been this bad on my tomato's. Decided to plate next year where they will get some shade from the mid day temperatures but till get the sun.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 21,680
    I'd say it's just weather John. This year's heat has made it difficult for tomatoes, along with many other plants and crops. Too much heat at the wrong time etc. As long as the rest of your crop has been ok, I wouldn't worry too much. It's been hard for people to get 'normal' growing conditions for them.
    It might be something people will have to adjust to in future, if these freak spells of weather become the norm though.

Although they like heat, they, like people,  can have too much of a good thing   ;)
    to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Thanks folks for confirming for me.
    J.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,505
    normally splitting in caused by intermitant watering, over production of sugar in the fruit, just gets too big for its skin, if you pick them quickly once they split they are fine for cooking with, before they go too soft.