delphiniums

Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,505
Have never grown them, can "the panel" suggest a variety for me for next year, really bright in your face blue, and tall, thank you!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,950

Delphinium Black Knight, earlier this year.
    There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 170
    Yes, I'll vouch for Black Knight... they worked really well for my first ever delphiniums this year (well, the ones that made it, I did lose some small plants before they really took off...). Have bought some more of the same for next year too ...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,167
    Those are gorgeous Pdoc.  Yours?   How do you keep them safe from slugs and snails?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 283
    edited 11 October
    How about Delphinium Bluebird,..they are the dark blue in the images below,..huge amount of stems and blooms,..reach a height of approx 7Ft.

When growth appears the slugs and snails do love them and can destroy a plant,..however if one starts getting rid of slugs and snails from early Spring,..then you wont have any problem,..oh these very tall plants need cane support.

If you want i can send you seeds,..no postage charge.

You can see how they appear in my garden below.

• Mags2Mags2 Posts: 17
    Absolutely beautiful.  Tried growing delphiniums from seed but no luck. Don't know what I am doing wrong.  Also no luck with penstemon seeds.  Any suggestions.
  • Janet523Janet523 SW ScotlandPosts: 18
    Hi Mags2 I have sown delphinium and penstemon seeds this year for the first time. I sown the seeds in August and kept them in the greenhouse out of direct sunlight. They have germinated and been potted on and seem to be growing well, fingers crossed they come through the winter.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,950
    I surround them with a large circle of grit, which I renew in January each year, as I find they are early into growth. Still get casualties though.
    There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 664
    Grit yes, stake them yes, and deep colours of the ones mentioned beautiful.  I also have a very light blue as well to contrast.  Cut them back mid summer after flowering and I now have a second set of flowers, not as tall as first but nice autumn colour. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,505
    nulti seeds would be lovelly, thank you.  The Daily Mail had a survey started at the beggining of summer, cant remember who by, trialing the different sorts of things to keep slugs away, and found that copper and grit didnt deter them, because they can glide across it with their slime.  I have tried all these things and found none work.  What I do now is, make sure the plants are a really goof size before planting out.
  • nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 283
    nulty seeds would be lovelly, thank you.  The Daily Mail had a survey started at the beggining of summer, cant remember who by, trialing the different sorts of things to keep slugs away, and found that copper and grit didnt deter them, because they can glide across it with their slime.  I have tried all these things and found none work.  What I do now is, make sure the plants are a really goof size before planting out.
         Send me your address in a private message and the seeds will be forwarded,..apart from the dark blue Delphinium 'Bluebird' seeds i will enclose a lighter blue as well,..also a tall plant.

About Slugs,..yes i have tried Grit and also a Copper Band around large flowerpots,..it may cut down on Slugs but not enough to be damage free,..the best bet is cut down on them early,..at every opportunity before Spring so by the time your young succulent seedlings appear there wont be many,..if any,..Slugs and Snails to feast.

For anyone growing Delphiniums for the first time,..don't wait until Spring to sow seeds,..Delphiniums like to go through a cold spell and dark included,..sow the seeds on top of the soil,..sprinkle soil to about a thumbnail deep on top of the seeds,..keep the soil moist,..not too moist as it will harm the seeds,..remember light inhibits seed growth,..your seeds should show seedlings in approx 30 days.

The guideline is to sow seeds approx 2 Months before the last frost.

Philip.