How to Calculate shrub spacing when planting new bed

I have one more bed to plant and don’t want to over crown plants in future there can anyone advise how you work out spacing between plants depending on their growth habit please thank you 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,371
    Depends on what plants they are, hydrangeas will grow to 6’ diameter, others may stay at 3’ . 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,424
    A search on the RHS website 'plant finder' will give general info on ultimate size and how long it takes to reach it.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-Form

• They all about 5 feet wide to 5 feet high mainly skimmia and sarcococca hookeriana small hydrangea and simba bamboo 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,351
    I think that answers your question - if they grow to five foot wide then you need to plant them 5 foot apart. Infill with sacrificial  smaller shrubs or perennials. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 840
    It will take forever and a day for your simba bamboo to reach 5 x 5... many of us here will be dead by then... so don't worry about that one.. it's one dwarf bamboo that no one need have any fear about planting... front of border..... come back in 20 years, it might be time to move it..  lovely little grass...

Skimmia's and Sarcococca's are not especially quick off the blocks either, so shouldn't worry too much - 3 foot would do fine I should think...
  • Marlorena Thank you for such a good quality answer i did wonder about my bamboo and if it was invasive but I’m glad it gorgeous I can’t wait to plant now I was struggling so much putting my pots on soil and wondering if I left enough space it’s so hard to imagine how things will look in future ! Thabks you all brilliant site 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 840
    ..oh that's ok.. thank you too... I'm sure it'll look great...