Lawns

Elaine174Elaine174 Posts: 21
Hi I'd welcome some advice about my lawn please. It suffered badly in the summer as we were away a lot and we had a gardener in to cut it,  but  its struggling to recover. It's about 3 cms long now and 50% moss. I know I have to take out the moss and seed it in the spring.,but I'm beginning to think that cutting it short might not be helping.  Should I leave cutting it now to help it's recovery? 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,446
    My grass is almost all at least 50% moss, but it doesn't bother me at all. It stays green and looks nice when it is cut and is lovely and soft to walk on. It also has daisies and buttercups and lots of other pretty things.
    If you can decide not to be perfectionist, you can save yourself a lot of time , money and hard work that you could put to good use elsewhere in the garden :)
  • Elaine174Elaine174 Posts: 21
    Thanks Buttercup I don't mind the moss either. It's the grass I'm not sure about it -whether to leave it now or cut it. :)

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 232
    When I used to cut my grass short,(3/4"-1") I had a lot of moss in shaded areas. I now cut it a lot longer, about twice the length and don't get any moss. That's without any treatment, apart from blood,fish and bone.
  • Gardener JohnGardener John Posts: 104
    Hi, I also used to cut my lawns really short with a roller mower but this year converted
    to a Flymo which made the job easier and left the grass longer.
    I too do not mind a few daisies  and noticed this summer my south facing lawn was
    turning brown, but now its pushed through new grass.
    Therefor I would leave the cutting till spring as over winter it will fully recover.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 368
    Another mossy person here. I would just tip it a bit higher so it looks tidy-ish. If it stays dry and warm it may well grow more, you could do it again. Just leave it high, rather than too short? If you leave it too long remember that any cutting should be done gradually or you make it yellow and weaken it if you do it too short?

I have been trying to leave ours a bit longer, but old habits :D
    I think yes it is the cutting too short through the whole season that makes it worse.
    You have to feed, treat and water regularly to have a green, moss free short sward. I think we are all tempted to cut a bit short and not do the other things that are needed to have that bowling green effect.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,476
    I'd leave it till next year too. 3cm is nothing.
    Cutting it short encourages the moss rather than the grass, which will weaken if constantly scalped. If you want a bowling green, and are prepared to spend lots of  hours and money on it, then you can have it short, but most people don't do that  :)
    There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street
    I went in to see her as a kind of joke
    And she lit a candle for my love luck
    And eighteen bucks went up in smoke

• Elaine174Elaine174 Posts: 21
    Great advice thanks. I'm  going to leave cutting it now until spring. 
  • BILLYCBILLYC Posts: 61
    I've spent, probably, forty years perfecting my lawns. I don't bother much today but I still have two reasonably, almost (almost is a long word) bowling green, lawns.

If your grass has moss in it you will never achieve a good lawn. So first get rid of moss. This is best done in the spring. Apply a solution of sulphate of iron, be careful that you only use on grass and not hard structures, concrete etc, as it will stain it a brown (oxide) colour. Within a few days the moss will turn black and die. Now, hire a electric lawn-raker and rake the dead moss, easy. At this stage your grass will look absolutely awful. Now, the hard part. You need to get drainage into the parts where the moss has grown. So dig over these areas with a fork, not easy. Don't try and pull the fork out of the ground but, trust me, lift the sod, it's easier. Now, apply a top dressing, multi purpose compost is ok. NOW, YOUR GRASS WILL LOOK LIKE A BUILDING SITE. But have faith. Leave for a few weeks till ground settles then sow grass seed. Don't be tempted to use fine grass seed, a mixture containing rye grass will do the job. Now, watch your new lawn grow. Water regularly if rain does not fall. Don't be impatient when grass is about 2" high cut with a sharp Flymo set to its highest cut. When the grass has established apply, not too much, a proprietary brand of weed, feed & moss killer. I realize, unless you're very keen, that you're, probably, not going to go through this difficult procedure but, trust me, it's the only way to achieve a reasonable lawn.

Lastly, a word on cutting height and lawnmowers. It's a myth that cutting grass short creates more moss. Good drainage & light kills moss, dead. The more you cut the thicker, finer & healthier the grass will become. You will NEVER achieve a good lawn using a rotary mower. A cylinder mower cuts grass like a pair of scissors, the shorter, to a degree, the grass the finer the sward.

Good Luck. But, if it starts to look better, don't get too obsessive it could take over your life!