Forum home Tools and techniques

Growing acorns and hazels from seed

2»

• Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 302
    In 2017 my wife and I visited the Twin Towers Plaza, the site of 9/11, which was stunningly beautiful for so many reasons. The plaza was planted with Swamp White Oak trees - Quercus bicolor - which I understand are rare in the UK. I brought back half a dozen acorns, three of which germinated, and the plants are now about 2ft tall and doing well. I lovely reminder of quite a day. Also there was the Survivor Tree, a tree found in the rubble of the demolished towers. The remains of the tree were taken away to a nursery and nurtured before being damaged in a storm. It was nurtured again and finally brought back to the plaza where every visit, I'm sure, places a hand on it. It's now looking well. It is a Callery Pair tree. As for planting an acorn for goodness sake, just pop it into a small pot of compost and let it get on with it.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 807
    Thanks Paul, lovely note.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,690
    My granddaughter planted a conker and presented us with the tiny tree. She's no gardener so it must be easy.
    I'm never sure what's the top and bottom?
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Wayside said:
    I'm never sure what's the top and bottom?
    Plant them sideways.
    Despite having no expert horticultural knowledge, the local squirrels still manage to have plenty of success planting acorns in my garden 😆.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    edited October 2018
    what sort of plane? As London plane is a hybrid and is infertile, so seeds form but don't/can't grow.
    all remaining seeds need stratifying (being left outside in the cold in the soil) for them to germinate successfully next year, one per module will work,
    bung them in as is and leave them to it, but you may need some rodent protection over winter.
    another tip I was taught was chuck the seed in a bucket of water, any infertile, damaged, or partially eaten seeds float and only plant the ones that sink after an hour.
    It was a plane in an ornamental garden at The American Museum nr. Bath.  I only grabbed a couple of seeds out of curiosity really.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 949
    We are always removing germinated acorns from around our Oak tree, they germinate in the ground quite happily.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    Wayside, it might have been an American plane tree, treat the seeds the same as the others and hope for the best
  • Mike177Mike177 Posts: 10
    They are dead easy just put them in a pot as already advised , as for squirrels planting them I read somewhere that the nibble out the growing tip to stop them germinating . Also that Jay's plant acorns as they don't do this , I maybe wrong though