Growing acorns and hazels from seed

A couple of weeks back I collected dozens and dozens of seeds:
  • Acorns
  • Hazels
  • Plane
  • Beech
Any tips for growing?  The squirrels do so well at propagating, or rather I only see the successes!  Should they be planted immediately?  I'm quite keen to grow loads of little beeches for a later hedgerow.  And for the fun of it.  

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,683
    Squirrels do seem to do rather well,  but of course we don't know how many they 'plant', nor how long the successes were in the ground before we see them grow. Here's the RHS advice: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=433
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,260
    I put just one acorn and one hazel nut in pots in mpc and they both just grew. Probably beginners luck!  I think they're probably best planted asap in individual pots, stick them somewhere sheltered and water occasionally, then just wait. 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,133
    I  do as Lizzie says except I don't water them.
    I've only done Acorns and Hazels, not Beech or Plane
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 621
    edited 11 October
    The RHS link above says that some seeds mustn't dry out (don't say which).  That's my concern.  I planted a load last year but to no avail.  I keep finding conkers that the squirrel has planted for later.  Pretty impressive, as he plants them about 100m from the tree!  Will try the two in a pot trick!
    It will be the nut/berry type that shouldn't dry out. With few exceptions small seed is dry when ripe                                 
    Forestry commision: "Raising trees and shrubs"
    "It is also important to take great care not to expose acorns and chestnuts to drying." 
    What constitutes drying?  I've had them in the car for about three weeks!
    sow them, nothing to lose.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,289
    I think also, you should sow now, and leave it outside, exposed to the weather. Hardy tree seeds and their seedlings do not need coddling.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
    Goodo.  Do I need to pierce or split the acorns?
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,640
    Wayside said:
    Goodo.  Do I need to pierce or split the acorns?
    Nah. Stick them in a pot of gritty soil and leave them where the frost will get to them but the squirrels won't. Most of our native trees need a bit of cold to germinate. I've not tried chestnuts yet. Beech, ash, hazel and oak are all really easy to germinate. The only problem is stopping things eating them.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett