Forum home Problem solving

Hollyhock weevil

ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 189
In collecting hollyhock seeds and getting ready to sow them I see so many with holes and hollyhock weevils (Apion longirostre - Rhopalapion longirostre) among them. (didn't know about this before) The hollyhocks weren't great this year which I assumed was down to the drought and heatwave but now I see this infestation. Can anyone recommend a treatment, preferably easy and organic? I am discarding the seeds with holes but hope to sow some without holes. Thanks

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Hi ju1i3 You might try freezing the seeds for a short while. You would have to do some research as to how long to kill off eggs and viability of the seeds.
    We have done this when we buy a bulk bag of bird seed, various seed in batches can get anything from moth to weevils. Sure the birdies like them but we don't like them in the house :D  Only problem is so far we are not sure how long to do this . It is  a new trial for us. And advice varies.
  • ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 189
    Thank you. I had been thinking of that. Then I need to figure out what to do about any adults (who I assume would overwinter ok) in the soil who might infect new plants I grow?
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited October 2018
    I guess if you don't want to spray anything nasty then an eagle eye in the spring and kill any you find. Though if they only lay eggs in new plant buds that would be the time to watch and also remove any buds with holes in?  Other than if you spot any lurking/overwintering.
    Also clearing the soil where any hollyhocks have grown , so you don't have any seeds laying around as they may have larvae or eggs still to hatch or come out? If you have seeds still on plants, dispose of or try the freeze.
    If it has been a bad infestation I would clear them all and start again.