Cheap plant

diana 1diana 1 Posts: 99
Went out to buy some wood to make a cold frame and went past Homebase so had a look in their garden section. They had Gentians reduced to 50p so bought one of each color. Love this time of the year when the plants are reduced and you can have more for your money

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,000
    Don't we all love a bargain eh?
    Devon.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,307
    Such plants are reduced for some good reason. They may be in poor health, having reached the end of their life-span, etc. I for one prefer to pay full price for healthy plants and get my money's worth.  ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,000
    Or maybe the shop has a policy of disposing of plant, healthy or otherwise after a given period of time.?? 
    Just a thought.
    Devon.
  • diana 1diana 1 Posts: 99
    These a health and have flowers and buds still to open and if they only add color for a few weeks at least I can enjoy them. I do take you point Hostafan1. The plants-man said they were reducing a lot of there plant as the winter is on it's way.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 607
    In the likes of Homebase it is just product that needs moving on meaning bargains for us. They don't waste time and money looking after stuff which is past its "sell by" date, which has nothing to do with product life and everything to do with sales windows e.g. Halloween coming next followed by Xmas.
    Ops sorry Hostafan1 I meant the plants-man said they reduced the plants as winter was on it's way in reply to Papi Jo. Hostafan1 your right there were loads of them there and they have to make way for the next seasons plants like Christmas tree's.
    Steephill, we all like a bargain and so what if we have to wait till next year to see what it's like that half the fun of gardening. I agree with you they have to move the product off the shelf to make way for the next seasons plant's. I for one will be popping back to see what other bargains they have to offer over the next few week.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 152
    Good for you Diana,  I am no good with gentians except the willow ones.
    Buying some wood two years ago I got lost and ended up in the DIY stores plant section,.
    There were some Salvias called Amistad pruned back on a clearance shelf for £1 each.
    I recognized the name, but could not think why I had remembered it.
    I bought two, they continued to grow and flowered their socks off for months into the winter.
    A fantastic "bargain" plant. I am so in love with it.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,200
    You pays your money, and you takes your choice. I love a reduced perennial, especially when l can divide it and get even more ! :)
    Rubytoo, I have never had them before but understand they don't like to be to wet so have planted them with plenty of Perlite to give the good drainage and it's finger crossed wait and see.

It's funny you mentioned Salvias I was looking for one today but couldn't find any so thought of seed again no luck. We have a fantastic lady in our local Homebase and she and I can natter for age's last week it was Twisted Willow and Bamboo next week who know's.