Forum home Problem solving

Complete Greenhouse beginer

Hi We recently moved to a house with a Greenhouse (see photos),after a full and frank discussion we decided to keep it and I have now replaced the broken panels and I want to know what to do next .So are there any good tips on what I should be doing to start growing something in the Greenhouse as soon as possible.I am a complete novice and basically have no Idea 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    A lot depends on whether you want to grow veggies or ornamentals or both.   I suggest you start by having a read of this info from the RHS and then follow the links for more - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=613

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for the tip
    A greenhouse is a great asset to have.   There will be spring cleaning to do to remove any hibernating pests and insects, you'll need to shade it against full summer sun - best with green net rather than a wash which is a pain to clean off, an autumn clean to remove more pests and maximise light thru winter, bubble wrap for insulation and so on.   

It can be used to store tender plants from the worst of the winter frosts, start things off early for spring planting once the worst frosts are over and for growing ornamentals that don't do well outside in the UK.   As your babies grow on you'll find yourself needing a cold frame as a transition form g'house to the big outdoors.   These can be bought or made and are also worth their weight in gold.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    You may find this link useful too - http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/G/Greenhouse heating/GH Heating.htm

It's part of a very practical what to do and when website created by a chap who's been growing veg in Huddersfield for decades.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    Good call on keeping it! Get some strawberries in there for some early treats before Wimbledon next year.