the temperature tomorrow in UK

Tomorrow the temperature in the UK is going to reach 22 c, 71 f.

The average temperature for October in Uk 12 c. This is therefore almost double the average. I remember (1970s) when we felt we had a good summer if June reached 70 f. 

All the ice caps are melting, Mountains across the world are loosing their snow caps, the aral sea has disappeared, now a desert, and yet we continue as we are, rampantly consuming in the West. profligately producing waste and heat. We don't  even need what we consume. Yet still people are starving and living in poverty. 

How come this is "normal" and we carry on doing it? 

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 999
    I look at it this way...  the time will come when the Earth will be swallowed up by the Sun into a black hole, so all will be lost without trace..  I'm not going to worry about the future, and I expect most people around the world are just trying to eek out a living, day to day as best they can..   the future will have to take care of itself... just within the last 100 years, I expect millions of people wondered if they ever would have a future, in other ways, and so many didn't... and nothing to do with climate change..
    Beware the Russians....in the short term, they might do us a lot more damage...

I'm going to enjoy the sunshine, we're probably in for a freezing, or very wet, winter...

Have a lovely few days in this Indian summer..

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,255
    So the enemies of life are ignorance, greed and selfishness, abetted by those who will do anything for power. Depressed?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,310
    Listen to The Moral Maze Radio 4 at 8pm tonight. 
    “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• The Russians ? Seriously ?

• Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 89
    Until population growth is arrested, climate change, global warming or whatever the latest buzzword is for it, is somewhat irrelevant.
    African nations have the largest growth rate in the world...about 3%..compared to the UK at 0.5%.
    China population is growing at 0.6%...but that's of over currently 1.6 billion people.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 563
    Until population growth is arrested, climate change, global warming or whatever the latest buzzword is for it, is somewhat irrelevant.

Irrelevent? So, we ignore it? Just let it continue?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,446
    It is brutal, but what we really need is something to focus peoples' minds.
    If Storm Michael wipes out the Florida panhandle, if there are more hurricanes and another mid-West dustbowl, maybe the Americans might be shaken into believing in climate change and join the fight.
    Or  something like the 1918 flu epidemic, or a new virus emerging...
    Until the pressure of population eases its demands on the Earth's resources and we all work together, we face a poor prognosis.
    The Earth will go on though, and so will evolution, but we won't be there to see it!

• Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 89
    ZeroZero1 said:

So, we ignore it? Just let it continue?

No, not at all....the "waste hierarchy" still makes perfect sense.

Maybe I should of said "may become somewhat irrelevant"

But think of it this way... continued exponential population growth will use increasing amounts of resources...it then gets to point where efforts to stay "environmentally sustainable" becomes less effective.

As the "recycling" business becomes global so therefore does the environmental footprint...take waste paper for example, there is a school of thought that suggests burning it is more sustainable than recycling it.

As for higher than average temps in Oct - OK lets say for arguments sake that overall 2018 is the hottest since 1976 (42 years ago) - does that mean higher than average temps or long periods without rain in the UK occur roughly twice every 85 years?
    I guess 2003 could be included (27c in April) and it was very hot across Europe but that summer was the hottest for over 100 years.

Same could be said of extreme cold - 1962/3 is remembered as a very cold winter after that 1978/9 was a bit nippy as well but before 62/3 it was nearly 200 years previous until the same low temps where recorded.

Just some thoughts.....

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,365
    The future does indeed look depressing for us and our planet.  Anyone watch Handmaids Tale tv series?, it's already started.....women and men are becoming infertile, wealthy couples are paying surrogates to have babies for them.  The fish in the sea are literally being hoovered from the sea-beds, fish and birds are dying because they are ingesting plastics.  Seasons are changing, plants are flowering out of 'season'.......we don't need to eat seasonal food anymore because food comes from all corners of the earth now.....we can buy anything on the internet from anywhere in the world  and have it shipped to our home, it will come by plant, boat, rail and road.  We are over consuming.....food, clothing, medications, electronics.......'oh the new I-Phone is out.....need to get it'! 
    So what?  What do we do?  How can we remedy the situation?  Can the world be 'fixed'?  Probably not...........yet I taught my children to be considerate of their environs, that they don't need the latest newest electronics, they do need to recycle their rubbish, they don't need and will never need 20 odd pairs of trainers, the only animal they should shoot......is through the lens of a camera (unless they're being chased by a bear in bear country  :p)   
    Tomorrow will come and I will go into my garden and look in one corner where years of plastic pots and milk cartons are being reused for new plants, another corner that pile of rotting fruit/veg etc. and I know that in time that rotting pile of 'stuff' will become compost, that will feed the earth, that feeds the worms that will feed my plants, that give me so much pleasure.........and the next tomorrow will come.......and I hope sincerely that people will finally wake up and believe that global warming is very real and very scarey, not so much for us, but for future generations.
    Happy gardening and recycling everyone