Forum home Problem solving

Weeds (I guess)

Hello,

This might sound like a stupid question, but I have literally hundreds and hundreds of these little tiny weeds growing.They have roots that are minuscule really!  Do I turn them over with a shovel, do they need removing one by one, what is the best thing to do?

I have a dog, so I'm wary to put anything down in case it hurts her, can someone advise please?

Thank you

• B3B3 Posts: 25,155
     how big an area are you dealing with?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,721
    Regular hoeing before they flower and seed will keep them under control. 

Most of what you see in that pic is Hairy Bittercress. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Not a massive area really, about 15 meters in total round all borders.  Some areas are worse than others.
  • B3B3 Posts: 25,155
    They're very small so you could hoe them or scrabble about with your fingers.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Great, thank you.
  • Am I alone in being disappointed with hoeing?  My hoe is sharp and unless the soil is really loose then it does seem to cut the weeds off at the stem but then you are left with lots of little weeds all over the soil that look messy.  I therefore end up picking them off individually anyway so feel I might as well have hand-weeded anyway.
    Sometimes the hoe lifts the whole weed up and then I'm never sure that the flippin' things don't just start growing again courtesy of the damp soil.

Is it just me.....?
  • I've never used a hoe!  Is there a technique, sounds like there is?