Forum home Plants

Too late to lift and divide...

... a clump of astrantia? What do you reckon? X

• dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 1,017
    Astrantia have a crown of roots, rather than just one main one, meaning you should be fine to divide them.
    As far as I know (I think Monty D mentioned this in a recent GW too), autumn is a good time to lift, divide and propagate, because roots can re establish is still warm soil, and settle in, before winter.
  • Fab-thanks! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,895
    Should be fine , as long as it's a decent sized clump and you minimise the move by having the new hole ready etc.
    However, if your soil's as wet and waterlogged as mine is, I'd wait till spring, when plants want to grow, rather than when they're about to be dormant. Moving shrubs is fine - perennials [even hardy ones ] can be less forgiving. 
    It's really a judgement call depending on your own conditions  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Our soil is weirdly dry... just not had much rain the last few weeks. Will see if I can be patient and wait til spring; just been clearing and cutting back this afternoon so things all looking a bit bald and empty-also easier to see gaps that could be filled... thanks!
    If your soil is suitable Elspeth - go for it  :)
    I just wanted to make you aware that it can be counter productive if the conditions aren't great.
    Many plants will be fine at this time of year, because there's a good balance between soil and sky - enough warmth in the soil for plants to settle and thrive, and enough rain to stop them being dehydrated. Cold wet soggy soil can prevent small pieces thriving, so are better left to come on in a pot over winter, or just left till spring to split  :)

• Thanks fairy girl-I’m actually wondering if the soil is too dry, it’s just powder at the mo... hate to say it but wouldn’t mind a spot of rain 🙈
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    As Fairygirl says , your divisions would be better off in pots for the winter ; more controllable watering and they could always be moved to prevent severe freezing should extreme weather threaten .
    Gives them a better chance of establishing a decent root system .
  • Thanks Paul. I have an unheated greenhouse they might be happy in.
    Thanks fairy girl-I’m actually wondering if the soil is too dry, it’s just powder at the mo... hate to say it but wouldn’t mind a spot of rain 🙈
    I can send you some.... ;)
    I think pots are the safest way if you want to divide just now, and then you can play around with the position of the pots next year when you're ready for planting.

• Sounds good!