Raspberry canes fruiting twice

We inherited some raspberry canes when we recently bought our house. They fruited in the summer and new growth appeared, so I was ready to cut out the old canes and keep the new for next years crop. We were surprised to find the new canes fruiting (and tastier than the first crop), but now, if I cut down all the fruited canes, we will have nothing for next year!  Anyone have any ideas?

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    there is different advice according to variety/season of fruiting. I have been getting two crops for years. What we do is feed with growmore every year, and cut out all deadwood about now. Some cut down more harshly, raspberries are rugged and will send up new growth. Our way we get an  earlier crop and then another which is still fruiting now. I just had a mouthful :) 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=148
  • Thanks for sharing your experience. We have no idea what variety they are, but we'll give it a go! 
  • We have a similar variety (also came with the house, so we don't know the name). Basically the canes live for two years, first year they grow berries in the summer, next spring I trim them by about 1/3 and they bear fruits on the same canes but on  new shoots once again. After that the canes die off. Later the same summer the first-year canes start fruiting. Next spring they are trimmed, fruit in summer and die off. That is the circle. The fruits are delicious, many people have asked what variety it is, shame we don't know what to tell them.  
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,920
    I have Terri-Louise that does that. The new canes fruit in Autumn, If they are left and the tops cut off(just the fruited bit), they then fruit again the following June. I cut that cane out and a new cane takes over in the Autumn again. Nice large fruit, the only problem is that they tend to send out long runners all over the place, even under paths.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks to everyone for your advice, I'll try them out and see how I get on. Thanks again.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281
    edited October 2018
    They could be an autumn fruiting variety (Primocane) like Autumn bliss or Polka.  If this type isn't cut down in late winter, any one-year-old canes will grow sideshoots which bear an early crop, often earlier than summer fruiting varieties.  The downside is that doing this will reduce the main autumn crop significantly.  Canes older than a couple of years will probably die or fruit really badly but are easy to spot and remove.  If you have plenty of plants, I would experiment this year and cut half the row down to the ground in February.  Those should produce new canes which will only bear one main (autumn) crop which should be significantly heavier than before.  Plants in the other half of the row I would treat as fidgetbones suggests.
    If they turn out to be a summer fruiting variety then those you cut down to the ground won't fruit until the following year, which is why I suggest only cutting half back - that way you will still be guaranteed some fruit. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.