Watering house plants whilst away

im going to be away for around three weeks. I have three house plants that I've lovingly grown from seeds and I want to keep them alive whilst im gone. 

What inexpensive system can I use to water my plants whilst im away.

i appreciate your suggestions...thanks

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    It does depend on plant, one way is to have a bucket and a strip of cloth. Place your pots on some form of towel maybe in the bath. Then fill your bucket with water and add the strip so that it goes to the bottom of the bucket and in touch with your mat. Over time the water will, by capillary action, transfer from the bucket, to the mat under your plants. The plants will take up the water from there. Soak the plant pots beforehand, and the matting.  
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,208
    I used to put all my houseplants in the bath and give them a good rinse with the shower head to remove all dust form their foliage then put in the plug and water them so their compost was damp and there was an inch or so of water in the bath.   The big ficus benjamina and ficus elastica were stood in the separate shower and given a good rinse and soak and then I'd close the bathroom door and come home to very happy plants.

You could do something similar and leave them in a bowl or basin where they get light but not direct sun.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    FYI some plant will NOT like sitting in water fro 3 weeks, it could kill them - damp is fine, but they need to breath through their roots. This depends on the speciaes of plant, some are bog plants, some desert plants - its hard to say without knowing
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,208
    Mine were big pots so one inch of water is fine and it creates a little micro climate.  Clearly the depth, if any, has to be judged on the size of the pots and plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw