Forum home Problem solving

Physalis help please

I planted seeds in March. Lovely healthy seedlings. Potted on to large containers. Robust growth, green foliage (like baby spinach!) no sign of flowers through the summer. Now leaves have gone yellow, are curling and going brown. As far as I’m aware I haven’t over/under -watered and the light has remained constant (I haven’t moved them). Looks as if I’m losing them - which is a real shame. According to the books they’re virtually indestructible! Help!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    which Physalis? the edible fruit or the pretty orange Chinese Lanterns?
  • Sorry sorry the Chinese Lantern type.
    They'll be OK, they're hardy perennials. Die back in winter, come back in spring. A few hardy perennials flower in the first year from seed, most don't.
  • Oh thank you very much. Do I just let them die back and wait for them to come back? Or do I need to do anything. I was kind of expecting them to flower this year as I got them in early, but now you’ve said that most don’t, I feel reassured. Thank you.
    you don't need to do anything, they'll sort themselves out
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    nutcutlet is correct (as ever) :)
    Probably most of the growth is going into root formation ; next Spring/Summer you should be pleasantly surprised !
  • I had them here when I moved in, but lost them eventually as in the border they tended to wander and come up in random places. So they often got damaged in early anti ground elder clearances. Might be good to give them a small space to themselves.
  • Thank you. They’re in big orange planters “waiting for Halloween” (😞)...not this year, so they won’t spread. Unlike the mint I planted (oh yes... I know ... now! ) Thanks everyone for reassuring me. As you can tell, I’m an enthusiastic rookie. (According to my friend, all gardeners are because she says “ just when you think you know it all, something surprises you..and that’s the joy of it!” ) thanks again everyone.

• Still no flowers a year on. My neighbours are abundant.  No idea what I'm doing wrong.  :/
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    Try using ahigh phosphate  fertiliser (generally sold for tomatoes) to help induce flowers. Too much nitrogen and you will have all leaf and no flowers.