Leave lawn long over winter

Is it a good idea to leave your lawn long (3") over winter? I won't be walking across my lawn much during winter, only for pruning plants or picking up leaves.
Thanks,
Alastair

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,213
    Long yes, but not that long.   2" are plenty.  Don't walk on it when it's frozen or even just frosted as you'll damage the leaves.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,010
    Mine won't get cut again now, after being done a couple of days ago. It's about the height Obelixx mentions.
    If it grows at all , it won't get cut - it'll be too wet, but it should be fine. Leaving it any longer than that [in height] would be a problem, as it would be hard to have it dry enough to cut if there's any growth.
    3 inches is therefore a wee bit too much if you get any more growth and the ground's too wet.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    good for wildlife
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 883
    Why is it worse if it's 3 or 4 or 6 inches long?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,213
    Because it clags up the mower when it's wet and it gets blown flat like a comb over in strong winds instead of standing up like a crew cut.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,679
    If it is dry I mow it.Last cut of 2017 was in December.
    It really depends were you are and what your weather is like.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 573
    edited October 2018
    3" is perfect... don't listen to people saying otherwise. I cut grass and treat lawns for a living. 

6" is too long, the grass will go yellow at the base. 2-3 is fine.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 746
    Can't say exactly how long the grass will be, but I raise the cut to level 3 from now on until late spring next year, the lawn will be mown a few times before then.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949
    Mine gets cut normally a couple of times between now and mid-November if its dry enough. The November cut is really only to pick up fallen leaves.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller