Forum home Problem solving

When to stop watering tomatoes?

There is so much different information on the internet about this.  Stop now/Don't stop...What should one believe?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    Mine are outside and are over ... pulling them up this week. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    I stopped watering a fortnight ago. All leaves off, but some fruit still ripening. I ripped them all out today.
  • P.S.  There are still hundreds (above shoulder level) not eaten yet.  Will they ripen best left there in the greenhouse or put into a dark cupboard?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,020
    I haven't watered mine for a while either  - they're in a little greenhouse. I odn't have many though.
    If the fruits are already turning - ie they're a paler green than when they first appear - they'll continue to ripen, Oldc. You can leave them in the greenhouse and they should be fine.
    Alternatively, you can bring in a vine or two and just let them ripen in your kitchen, or anywhere else that's suitable to leave them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    This lot  (the ones in the background ... variety Rosella)

ripened indoors on the windowsills 

I made a tomato and chilli relish with them yesterday  :)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,633
    Mine are still getting watered every other day as still have a few cucumbers growing. Mine are black cherry with about 50 still going like yours above head height,  will just let them get on with it for this month until the plant looks to be failing.
  • I agree with you purplerallim, judging by the water metres the soil is still moist 3/6 inches down.  The black opal and chocolate cherries don't pull off but split when ready, (being thin skinned).  Picking them on that day means they're perfect.  Of my 32 varieties people say they are delicious and better than all the others.  I'm not feeding any more though as side shoots still sprout every day.
  • Fairygirl:  I'm leaving them up as they're trained up to the roof (and across) twisted around Passion flowers.
  • Dovefrom above:  Very impressive but my window sills are full of other things!