Forum home Wildlife gardening

Re-vamping my Wildlife pond area.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
I have decided to re-vamp my wildlife pond area.
The original pond was not very deep and a bit flimsy,also I could not get it level!
It looked quite attractive but had a lot of stones round it to hide the edge and there was not much space for plants.The stone wall round the front was built so the whole area is contained and backs onto the concrete gravel board at the rear.
Yesterday I dug up the old pond and replaced with 2 Stewart Smithy Patio Tubs of different sizes (35cm & 50cm) so 2 ponds in fact!
My Mum has had a similar tub as a pond for nearly 20 years so should be robust enough.
They have straight sides rather than a lip so I can plant right at the edge to overhang so won't need so may rocks.
I still have to work out how to make a way for creatures to leave the pond,maybe a log for them to climb out on?
I am just leaving everything to settle for a while to make sure there are no leaks etc.
Got to plan what I shall plant round it.It will not be boggy so most things should grow there.
Will update as things progress!!

OLD POND:-

NEW POND(S):-

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    A lot of hard work gone into clearing that in one afternoon madpenguin, well done 👍. I like the new shapes of your planting areas, look forward to seeing it planted up. Love the spider 😍
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Good job M.Peng.  :)
    I think a log or a wooden ramp of some kind might be the best solution. You'd just need to check it occasionally to make sure it's still in one piece. Stacking some of your rocks, and smaller pebbles/stones, would be best, but there isn't enough room there. You'd have no pond left!
    A good 'extra' is a shallower container of some kind next to them, which you can put pebbles etc in, and it would provide a little area for insects to drink, and birds to have a paddle.  I had a black tray I used in a big solid container I had which had no holes. It fitted snugly on top, and I put some rocks and gravel in it. The foliage in the bed next to it provided a link to the surrounding areas. I just cleaned it out regularly to keep it fresh. I may have a pic somewhere...

The wasps, bees  and hoverflies often sat on the gravel to access the water. I've now extended my little pond to create a good shallow section for that purpose, and it's been very well used.
    Dunnock having a bath in it  :)

My pot now has a tiny water lily in it.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    Back in the garden today to finish off the project!
    Apart from a piece of bogwood I have not bought any plants but used things I already had.
    In the 'big' pond I have Carex elata 'Aurea' in a terracotta pot,also in there is some water Forget-me-not 'Mermaid'.There is a miniature waterlily and some pondweed.
    In the 'small' pond is Houttuynia cordata 'Flame' and more pondweed.
    Around the outside is Heuchera 'Swirling Fantasy,a small Alchemilla,varieagated Carex and at the back Sedum confusum (a favourite of mine!)
    Where the two ponds meet I have placed the bogwood and some stones so there are lots of places for frogs,toads and newts.
    Looks a bit of a mess right now but hope for good things next year.  :)

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    Update on my re-vamped wildlife pond 8 months on.
    Had success with lots of tadpoles (from spawn given by a friend) which turned into lots of froglets!
    Plants have grown nicely around it.
    Looking good I think!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    😊 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LadyG2LadyG2 Posts: 29
    I've really enjoyed reading about your pond revamp!
    It looks lovely.