Looking for an apple!

2»

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 566
    If you get no joy from Spartans, one other possibility is Beauty of Bath.  It's not so dark red as a Spartan but has distinct veining inside. Not very sweet.
  • rockshow6rockshow6 Posts: 16
    Thank you. I may well just order all suggested trees! I’ve got an apple day coming up on the 14th. Fingers crossed!

now that I think of it, I associate the apples with early October so
    I think they likely fruit around then. 

They were quite sour and strong. 
    ‘‘Twas not Spartan :( if anyone has any other suggestions. 

Red spotted apple. 
    White and grainy inside. 
    Some pink colour in flesh, with red veins. 
    very tart but sweet enough to be edible. 
    i would say NOT crunchy. 

Thanks for everyone’s help so far. 

The worst part is that there is a tree on the same street in a neighbours back garden but the neighbour has social anxiety and doesn’t answer their door to anyone or leave the house so I can’t take a cutting. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,361
    @BobFlannigon did suggest 
    If you get no joy from Spartans, one other possibility is Beauty of Bath.  It's not so dark red as a Spartan but has distinct veining inside. Not very sweet.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,786
    Whilst looking for that elusive apple variety I recommend a good read on the topic, Tracy Chevalier's novel At the Edge of the Orchard (2016) about a Ohio pioneer family battle over apples.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    edited October 2018
    Many thanks but Beauty of Bath doesn't look right, and it definitely wasn't early season. I'm leaning towards an October ripening.

I'll have a look into the novel! I've got an apple day coming up but my significant other is suggesting that I am required to attend a wedding fayre on the same day
     :(