Forum home The potting shed

alternative to cardboard to surprise weeds please

• This is my back bed one side it’s a mess as u can see but I love my choice of plants lots dark sedums against platinum blonde lavender and strong varies of Daphne’s some American small dwarf oakleaf hydrangeas and all summer they did good so I’m pleased 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,836
    Nice choice of plants,  get rid of the rubbish tip look, add some nice bark mulch and it will look lovely. 🙂
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ahh thanks Lyn I’m glad to get support here as no one in my family is interested in gardening I started with house plants last year which are mostly dead now and then I moved to out doors looking at you tube to help me 
    I am rubbish with house plants! My garden’s good though. 

Its a shame when no one else is interested,  it’s funny that my OH never was, but over the recent years I’ve asked him to do jobs (he’s a brilliant undergardener)  and he now shows interest, he does all the grass and the edges, he digs borders, he weeds, as long as he knows which ones to dig out, so I show him.
    He has taken over the compost making now, I think you need to ease people into gardening slowly, so they don’t realise you’re doing it😀

• Gosh your lucky it back breaking but rewarding too my husband Baz is in retails so long hours and I feel guilty asking but he does lawn and recently took out a bay tree stump it was hard work to get the dam thing out but I have this space free now 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Totally agree with Lyn - you'll have a very smart border there if you take all that off and replace with a proper mulch  :)
    It also means you can easily feed the soil in spring [Blood, Fish  Bone is ideal ] and then use a mulch to retain moisture over summer, especially if you're in a dry part of the country.
    You can apply mulch again at this time of year to freshen everything up for winter, while plants are generally dormant, and that will all improve the soil structure and it's health. Well rotted manure, bark, decent compost will all be beneficial choices. 
    At other times, you can use an additional feed of your choice if you have plants that need it  - heavy flowerers for example.

Doing that will mean your borders look good virtually all the time, and you don't have lots of work doing it either, so more time to enjoy your plants and do other things :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    See the card
    had to pour water fast
    after my neighbour knocked to tell me!

Right outside
    under my front window
    it was scary 
    Unintentional poetry.
  • Bless thank you for taking the time to write all this advice it not fallen on deaf ears i guess your not suppose to cover the crown of plants with mulch?
    We make a lot of compost that just gets chucked over the lot, they fint their way up through it next year.
    Dont throw the cardboard and food boxes away, tear them up and mix with your grass cuttings, add your veg peelings and cut down plants and next year you’ll have compost of your own to spread.