Forum home The potting shed

alternative to cardboard to surprise weeds please

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    Not only harmless, but beneficial ... and good mothers too ... check out this link

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=723
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,969
    Totally :)
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Omg you guys are so knowledgeable And helpful thank you I can only get so much from google I won’t spray them now ! 
    Hurrah!   I've never found a need to use insecticide in my garden ... it's so indiscriminate and there's so many tiny good guys who help us in the garden  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I'm slightly worried about why you have all that cardboard round, and right up next to your shrub[s]. I thought you were covering some bare ground to keep down weeds.
    The way you have all that cardboard round your Daphne, isn't beneficial at all, and some of the card in your picture really isn't suitable in a garden situation. :/
    Far better to water thoroughly, and then apply a proper mulch of bark, or compost, or even gravel.
    If the planting hole is initially well prepped for your plants, with some general, slow release fertiliser added, they shouldn't need much attention apart from watering until established, assuming your soil and aspect for the plant is also suitable.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,841
    edited October 2018
    I would remove all those food cartons, house bricks, rocks, cardboard from the plants, use a decent mulch. It must look like you’ve dumped your kitchen/building waste on the plants. 
    The plants look as though they are lacking in water, and nutrients that the rain brings, they can’t possibly be getting what they need with that lot on them.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Exactly Lyn. I'm surprised the poor thing's growing at all!
    The woodlice have clearly found plenty to eat underneath anyway  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Oh god I thought I was caring too much gosh you guys are so good I kept bricks there to stop card flying I’m so confused now I really am not very good at this and tbh I am a lazy gardener right I’m taking your advice and cards are coming off I go to garden centre and buy some mulch and your right I’m watering card than plants ! I wish I could have a person guide me but I was scared putting myself on public platform but I’m glad I did my garden bed does look a mess I got all sorts of food box that we finished with 
  • I started building beds at front in jan with gypsum as I have london clay manure and compost with seaweed and it’s been tilled so my soil now is beautiful with loads worms did Sam at back so I’m hoping my Daphne’s will have free draining soil as I put in lots of grit by rhs and covered crown with pepples
    Oh god I thought I was caring too much gosh you guys are so good I kept bricks there to stop card flying I’m so confused now I really am not very good at this and tbh I am a lazy gardener right I’m taking your advice and cards are coming off I go to garden centre and buy some mulch and your right I’m watering card than plants ! I wish I could have a person guide me but I was scared putting myself on public platform but I’m glad I did my garden bed does look a mess I got all sorts of food box that we finished with 
    Don't worry, we're quite a friendly lot (we sometimes have an eccentric sense of humour tho) and what we care about most is helping people to enjoy their gardens and get the most out of them, so ask away ... we'll hold your hand and help along the way  :)

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask ... we all make mistakes and we've all been beginners  ... it's just some are further along the road than others ... and that's usually because we've been around for longer  ;)