Forum home The potting shed

alternative to cardboard to surprise weeds please

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    edited October 2018
    I'm intrigued too @Singing Gardener  :)   ... I checked as you did, that's why I said 'are you sure' ... don't want to cast aspersions and all that on the poster but ....  :/

I'd expect to find woodlice under cardboard ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• See the card had to pour water fast after my neighbour knocked to tell me ! Right outside under my front window it was scary 
  • Termites are they not? Maybe I’m wrong
    Was there smoke?  Was it hot?   Did have red glowing embers?  Not saying you're wrong, but that looks more like decomposition due to dampness to me ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Termites right?
    Woodlice ... just as I thought ... lovely little creatures that help break down rotting organic matter for us ... and really good mums 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=723

:) 

• There was smoke for sure the ground had heated up as we went on holiday and it was not watered for one week at 35 degrees in July I’m not taking the risk again in case I don’t have time to keep things cool not sure what the creatures are on card if not termites is it wood lice ? I’m confused now what they are 
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,969
    If it's in your front garden, someone probably threw a cigarette end on it.Either that or there was a piece of glass nearby.
    Definitely woodlice.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Fair enough if you're convinced there was smoke ... I wasn't there.    :)

But I would just hoe little weeds out before they grow ... whatever you put on the ground weed seeds will still blow/drift in and take root on top of the mulch so you'll still have to deal with them.  Mulch with compost/bark chippings etc and hoe or pull out the little green weedlings when they appear ... much the easiest way.  

And yes, as I said in my last post ... woodlice  <3

• Ahh thank you for confirming re woodlice are they harmless?