Forum home The potting shed

alternative to cardboard to surprise weeds please

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    I think the best way to surprise them is to sneak up behind them, then jump out and shout BOO , very loudly. They always look surprised when I do that.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    ...and no near neighbours to call for the men in white coats Hosta... :D
    I often surprise mine too, before yanking them out by the scruff of their neck.
    Hotc.l. - dampening the card is the best way, as Obelixx said. You can use newspaper in thick layers too. They both break down, so better than carpet etc.
    I've also used black plastic, but many weeds are still there underneath. It doesn't get rid of perennial types, it only deters annuals,  so you really have to dig them out if you don't want to use chemicals.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @LauraRoslin  I was going to suggest creep up behind them and go .......BOO  :D:D

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Sorry Hosta I was way behind there just a senior moment  :)

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    cover the wet cardboard with a decent layer grass clippings, fresh manure or other organic matter, it stops it blowing away (or in your case catching fire)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    I'm most intrigued by this "spontaneous combustion" 
    Devon.
  • I live in Finchley London and cardboard including wood is loved by termites I find many when lifting card so will spray them then I’m removing card as in high summer it smoulders too high risk to take so thank you all but i do have one more question which is related to my Daphne perfume princess leaves going yellow can anyone help figure out why and if they dying I will upload photo thank you all Kalps I’m a lady who a very new gardener and most of what I have planted I used you tube to help me as I only had bare lawn 7 months ago 
  • Daphne perfume princess
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    Termites!?  In the UK???  Are you sure???  Don't spray anything until you're sure ... you could be killing beneficial insects.  

Many Utube videos and gardening sites etc are in the USA ... is that why you think you have termites?

And smouldering cardboard ... please explain ... cardboard will not combust in the UK, not even in the last summer, unless someone sets fire to it.   
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,110
    Intrigued by the termites. OH said "Oh yes, they have termites in London" but the only instances I can find by googling are isolated colonies in Devon and in the West Midlands.