Forum home Problem solving

Orchid advice

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
edited September 2018 in Problem solving
I had been thinking that my orchid was doing quite well as in the last 3-6 months I have seen new leaves appear and new roots. However in that last few days the leaves have lost their shine and there are yellow edges to the leaves. It's looking a little sad so wondered what I can do to help it thrive. I don't water it often only when the potting medium is bone dry or the roots look like they need it. I've checked the roots and they're still green and can't see any rotting roots so don't think it's due to overwatering but could it be too much sun or dislike of being moved? It is usually on an East shelf as I only have south or north facing windowsills. it's been in the same position for sometime looking quite ok but was moved recently onto the windowsill to do a cleanup and was forgotten to replace back in its spot. How can I help my orchids get better? They also haven't flowered for at least 2 years!

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Do you feed it at all @Bagpuss57
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
    Yes I have given it a mist spray feed on and off that my uncle recommended I use. 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Is it a phalaenopsis Bagpuss?
    This site has some nice information on them if it is what your plant is. I think it may be. It says they are different from most other orchids, and one of the best suited as houseplants.  Also a mention that leaf problems now showing are often down to something happening a couple of months before.
    https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/plants/orchids-phalaenopsis.php
    Also they talk about the best position lower down the page and leaf problems and causes. And how to get them to flower. It sounds like your east facing was the optimum growing position, you have gone and upset it. ( wink).

Good Luck.

• Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256
    Thank you Rubytoo I will check out the website. I think you might be right that I've upset it and now it's sulking! Lesson learned I think there! 😉