Forum home Wildlife gardening

Juvenile rat or wood mouse

Much searching on the internet has left me undecided. There are 2 of these in the garden (that I can see!) never seen them before. They appear to be eating the grass seed and an occasional worm. About an inch and a half long. Juvenile rats? Or something less horrifying?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454
    Not a rat. Tail is wrong for a rat.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502
    Looks like a wood-mouse or field-mouse to me.    :)

Defintely not a rat. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks that's what I thought/hoped. 😊👍
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,107
    Yes - a  little mouse. I get one on the feeder quite often - even in the daytime. He [and his friends and family ;) ]  have a nest somewhere in amongst the ivy behind it, or elsewhere in the garden. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Got one (probably more) near the bird feeders. Darts out when nothing else about!  Couple of frogs and a hedgehog about too!
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    Looks like the little mice in my garden. They love the sunflower seeds in the bird food and leave little piles of the shells everywhere.  They've been living in the garden for over 7 years now. Never been a problem.  🐀
  • They are really pretty little things.
    Unfortunately they have decided to move in with me. They live/ hide under the freezer in the pantry and slip out every so often to nick a bit of dried cat food. I could just about cope with that, but not the nocturnal forays into the kitchen and the little offerings left behind!
    I've trapped 4 so far but there's still at least one left!
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2018
    I thought it looked like a Gerbil :D
    Sorry Buttercup , good luck.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    @Shari4 sorry got confused with Buttercup... no,  really, kick me.
    Our mice are usually the little golden brown wood mice, I think the babies are dark like yours until they grow up.

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog