So last Halloween I decided to save some of the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin I’d carved with my then 4 year old daughter to plant next year.
After drying and storing seeds over winter we planted them in spring potted on and hardened off then watered and fed over summer until we ended up with 2 surviving vines with 1 pumpkin on each (one big one small).
Problem We have is the plant with the small pumpkin is still quite healthy and the pumpkin is now almost totally ripened but the one with the larger pumpkin which me and Sophie were planning on carving for Halloween is dying. All the leaves have gone brown and the vine has gone soft where it meets the roots and the softness/rot is working it’s way towards our Halloween pumpkin!
Dilemma is simpley when do I cut the stem if I want to carve for Halloween? (4 weeks)
For the healthy plant which is ripe do I cut it now or leave on the vine until just before Halloween?
For the dying plant which is not quite ripe do I leave it on the vine in till the last of the life is in the plant and it’s hopefully finished ripening or do I cut my losses and cut then stem and try and finish ripening it off in the conservatory? If I do this will it last until Halloween?
Any advice would be appreciated I’d feel like such a failure to have to buy our pumpkins from a supermarket after all the effort we put in.